From Townsend’s Nick Gilkinson, Maene will launch in March
After getting off to an impressive start with his first restaurant, Townsend (despite having opened just a month before the first lockdown), Nick Gilkinson is moving on to his second. Maene will open this spring in Spitalfields, taking full advantage of one of the neighbourhood’s historic buildings – a Victorian clothing factory.
The all-day spot will take inspiration from the relaxed atmosphere of European bistro culture and serve up a menu of modern dishes made with seasonal British produce. Expect the likes of:
- Mersea oysters with pickled Jalapeno and sorrel
- Allotment fritto misto, smoked chilli aioli
- La Latteria Stracciatella, pickled squash, yesterday’s bread
- Springfield farm chicken, rosemary, garlic and burnt lemon, green goddess sauce, served alongside Keats farm salad and pickled onion and miso dressing
- Yorkshire rhubarb, set Bermondsey honey cream and bronze fennel
- Sgroppino pear sorbet, English sparkling wine and elderflower
Drinks-wise, there’ll be a selection of cocktails that can be enjoyed in the separate cocktail bar alongside some plates from the kitchen. The main dining room will comprise counter seating, an open kitchen, a large 18-seater sharing table, and banquettes. Come summer, Maene will open up the terrace that looks out over the skyline thanks to the restaurant’s position at the top of the building – just another reason to look forward to warmer months.
Stay in the loop…
Sign up to our drops
Opens March 2023
7-9 Fashion Street, London E1 6PX