When’s the best day to eat tacos? The real answer is everyday (there is no such thing as too many tacos) but especially on National Taco Day, and thanks to Mann’s Got Munch, you can kick off the day strong and have them for brekkie. And if you get the ingredients from Weezy (and get 50% off your order with code MANNSGOTMUNCH50), the UK’s first on-demand supermarket that delivers groceries to your door in 15 minutes, you don’t have to plan in advance or make sure you’ve got the right bits in – you can just wake up, order and get cooking. As Sophie says, “Celebrate National Taco Day with my fully loaded breakfast tacos. Cheesy tortillas topped with smokey refried beans, crispy chorizo, soft scramble and pickled red onion. A delicious way to start the day! The recipe can totally be made veggie, just skip out the chorizo and add in a little olive oil to cook the beans in.” This recipe makes six tacos and we dare you not to scoff the lot.
6 flour or corn tortillas
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 can black beans
1/2tsp smoked paprika
1/2tsp chilli powder
1 white onion, finely diced
1 garlic cloves, finely diced or minced
1/2 a chorizo, chopped into small chunks
Cheddar cheese, grated
Avocado, thinly sliced
Red chilli, sliced
Spring onion, sliced
Lime, cut into wedges
1. First you’re going to make the speedy pickle. In a bowl add the thinly sliced red onion, the juice of a lime and a good pinch of salt. Scrunch with your hands and set aside in the fridge until serving.
2. Add the chorizo to a cold saucepan (no oil needed, the chorizo has enough fat) crank up the heat and fry off until crispy. Remove the crispy chorizo and keep the chorizo fat in the pan. Keep warm or give it a quick blast in the microwave before serving.
3. Add finely chopped onion to the chorizo fat and fry on a medium/high heat for five minutes until it starts to caramelise then add in the garlic, cumin, smoked paprika and chilli powder, and fry off for a further few minutes. Add the can of black beans along with all the juices, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer for around 10 minutes with the lid off until reduced. Season with salt and then smash the beans slightly with a fork or masher until you have a thick chunky consistency. Keep warm
4. Whisk the eggs with a good pinch of salt. Add the butter to a hot nonstick pan, when it starts to foam add in the eggs. Working quickly using a spatula to create soft ribbons, which should take 1- 2 minutes. Keep warm.
5. In a hot pan add the tortillas, cook for 30 seconds on each side to get some colour, then add some grated cheddar on top until it melts.
6. Time to layer it up: Cheesy tortilla topped with the smokey black beans, soft scrambled egg, avocado, crispy chorizo, pickled red onion, red chilli, spring onion and fresh coriander. Serve with a wedge of lime and inhale.