Nobody wants to waste a summer evening slaving in the kitchen, so instead keep it simple and easy with this super speedy steak fajita salad. It’s the perfect protein-packed dinner to enjoy al-fresco that ticks all the boxes. Healthy, nutritious and full of flavour.
Here is what you need
40g baby spinach, 1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes, coconut/olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika, roasted red pepper
300g sweet potato, an avocado, a lime
1tsp dried garlic, 2 x flat iron steak
This is how to make it
1. Boil a kettle. Leaving the skin on, cut the sweet potato in 1cm cubes and cover with boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer on a high heat for 10-15 mins until the sweet potato has softened.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix 1 tbsp oil with the dried garlic, half of the ground cumin and half of the smoked paprika. Season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Rub the steaks with this.
3. Preheat a frying pan (or BBQ) on a medium-high heat. Cook the steaks for 2-3 mins each side for medium rare or 4-5 mins each side for well done Remove the steaks from the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Thinly slice the roasted red pepper. Peel and de-stone the avocado, thinly slice.
5. To make the dressing: mix the remaining smoked paprika and ground cumin with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the juice from the lime.
6. In a large bowl, toss the baby spinach with the sweet potato, avocado, roasted peppers and the dressing.
7. Thinly slice the rested steaks. Place the salad onto two plates and top with the slices of steak. Sprinkle over the chilli flakes.
This recipe has been taken from the summer salad series at Mindful Chef, more simple recipes and healthy meal ideas can be found on their website.